Register with
RussForPresident.com

Subscribe to the
Michigan for Feingold Group

Powered by
 groups.yahoo.com



31 March 2005

"Searching America for Russ Feingold"

The Daily Cardinal, a student newspaper for UW-Madison, had an interesting little piece which, I think, shows one of the greatest barriers to a Feingold candidacy, and is well worth the read, if only because I like the writing style. As Jake Herrera states,

The main problem Feingold must overcome is that of name recognition. Unless you live in Wisconsin or are a political junkie, you have probably never heard of Russ Feingold.


The worst of that:

More men actually placed Feingold in the starting backcourt of the Badgers than in the Capitol. One guy, in all truthfulness, responded immediately with "Oh, yeah he's great." I was excited, and he continued, "Seen every game, he can really shoot the 'trey,' but he should attack the basket more." Russ Feingold was being confused with Clayton Hanson, Alando Tucker or Sharif Chambliss. I didn't have the heart to tell him that Russ Feingold is a 51-year-old man who happens to be a U.S. senator.

Now, I'm most definitely one of those "political junkies" he mentions, and I suspect it's safe to say that anyone else who reads what I'm writing and goes to DraftRuss.com to post on message boards is too. Part of me wants to say, "You don't know who Sen. Feingold is? You fools!" but I recognize that to many, politics and politicians are a pain that they prefer to avoid.

So how do we fix this? Herrera mentions that everyone from Wisconsin he asked knew who Feingold was, and many had informed opinions about him. How do we ensure that people all around the country-- and Michigan-- know about this guy who is far from "just another politician"?

Thoughts welcome, of course. I'm hoping that I'm contributing in some small way to spreading the word, with this blog. Next up, making "Feingold for America" bumper stickers?

2 Comments:

Blogger Forward Our Motto said...

Hey, welcome to the movement (can we call it that yet?) from a pro-Feingold blogger.

I've been mulling over the same issue myself. Unfortunately I am based in Madison, WI...so I'm not much help. The one of the only things I can think of would be disrupting a rally if some other high profile candidate came to WI and that isn't exactly the kind of attention I think we want.

My only other idea is to monitor other state's newspapers and whenever the paper runs a story about any presidential candidate, send in a letter to the editor hyping Feingold. (Once again being in WI limits my ability to help, but I'd be willing to help long distance if I could)...now you on the other hand...

Of course, we have to agressively promote Russ online since that is probably the best thing we can do right now. So if you frequent any political sites that might put links up or talks politics...well I'm sure we all know what to do.

And of course, keep blogging...

http://forwardourmotto.blogspot.com

Thu Mar 31, 11:06:00 PM EST  
Blogger Matt the Man said...

IT WAS YOU! I registered every stateforfeingold.blogspot.com address until I got to you! Don't worry though, I am just happy to see more Feingold supporters out there! Keep up the good work! Way to go and GO RUSS!

Matt Wallock
RussForPresident.com Founder

Fri Apr 01, 02:54:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home